ralphpnj wrote:
> I suppose that one could just compare the measured dynamic range (via
> the foobar plugin or an equivalent) of a 24bit/44.1kHz audio file and
> the same audio in a 16bit/44.1kHz file. if the dynamic ranges are the
> same (which they absolutely should be) then a 24bit file is just
> marketing BS.

That is pretty much what I have done. Of course the dynamic ranges
aren't always the same - I have come across a few examples where the
24-bit version has *less* dynamic range (clearly a newer "master" - or
compressed to make the 24-bit version sound louder and thus "better").

"To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this
fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt
edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953