arnyk wrote:
> Vinyl  has dynamic range equivalent to only about 12 bits resolution...
On a good day and with a following wind, maybe :-)
IME typical vinyl is equivalent to more like 10 or 11 bits.

Julf wrote:
> Yes and no. You don't need even 16 bits for *storing* the recording of
> your vinyl, but 24 bits (well, maybe 20 in reality) gives you some extra
> dynamic range in case you get the levels wrong.
Since even the best vinyl struggles to achieve 12 bits of dynamic range,
that's 24dB of potential headroom. Although that does assume a 16 bit
ADC linear down to the LSB, so let's be generous and lop off a couple of
bits. That still leaves us 12dB of headroom when setting recording
levels. If anyone can't operate within those generous limits, perhaps
they should find another hobby.

One possible argument for doing the initial recording at 24 bit would be
so you can avoid any possible accumulation of quantisation errors during
post-recording DSP (eg. EQ, filtering, etc). To which I would respond
that vinyl has such enormous levels of background noise that you can
probably afford to make several DSP passes without even bothering to
dither and the accumulated rounding errors would still be way below the
level of the (faithfully recorded) vinyl surface noise.

d6jg: stick with the Behringer (a UCA 202 or 222, I presume?)

Transporter -> ATC SCM100A