d6jg wrote:
> This is interesting to me as I have been considering upgrading the ADC
> that I use for ripping Vinyl from the current 16/48 Behringer that I use
> at the moment to something capable of 24/xx.
> There is a massive price jump from 16/48 to anything capable of 24/xx.
> Are you all saying that it would (as I suspect) be a complete waste of
> money and that 16bit 1s & 0s are going to sound the same as 24bit
> versions?

Yes and no. You don't need even 16 bits for *storing* the recording of
your vinyl, but 24 bits (well, maybe 20 in reality) gives you some extra
dynamic range in case you get the levels wrong - once you have the
recording on the computer, you can normalize the gain and it will easily
fit in 16 bits.

"To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this
fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt
edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953