cliveb wrote:
> On a good day and with a following wind, maybe :-)
> IME typical vinyl is equivalent to more like 10 or 11 bits.
>

> Since even the best vinyl struggles to achieve 12 bits of dynamic range,
> that's 24dB of potential headroom. Although that does assume a 16 bit
> ADC linear down to the LSB, so let's be generous and lop off a couple of
> bits. That still leaves us 12dB of headroom when setting recording
> levels. If anyone can't operate within those generous limits, perhaps
> they should find another hobby.
>
> One possible argument for doing the initial recording at 24 bit would be
> so you can avoid any possible accumulation of quantisation errors during
> post-recording DSP (eg. EQ, filtering, etc). To which I would respond
> that vinyl has such enormous levels of background noise that you can
> probably afford to make several DSP passes without even bothering to
> dither and the accumulated rounding errors would still be way below the
> level of the (faithfully recorded) vinyl surface noise.
>
> d6jg: stick with the Behringer (a UCA 202 or 222, I presume?)

Yes Clive. I have a Behringer UCA202 and also a Behringer VMS200USB
mixer that operates at 16/48. The mixer is great for ripping vinyl as
after recording a single swipe R to L switches to playback mode for
track splitting purposes. Behringer kit is inexpensive but very well
made.

*Vortexbox LMS 7.9 music on QNAP TS419p via NFS* iThingys/iPeng/Tablets
*Living Room* - SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 - > Celestion Ditton F20s - Zone 2 ->
Sony TA FE 320 -> Sennheiser RS 130 & B&W P7
*Office* - RPi -> Sony TA FE320 -> Celestion F10s / SB3 -> Onkyo CRN 755
-> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
*Dining Room* -> SB Boom *Kitchen* -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
*Bedroom (Bedside)* - SB Touch -> Topping TP21 -> AKG Headphones
*Bedroom (TV)* - Amazon Fire TV (SB Player) -> Topping TP20 ->
Wharfedale Modus Cubes