Julf wrote:
>  I normally don't worry about storage space (except for the car stereo),
> but I am concerned about network bandwidth.

Thanks guys,
I will try the recommended SW to push the audio back below 1 Mbps in
flac.
The storage size at home isn't most important factor, but not being able
to use the sources on wifi based players around the house and garden is
my main reason.
With 16/44 flacs files I will have a standard that is convenient  in
size and quality.

Like Julf I do recompress to ogg for usage in on the road.
But a future project might be to synchronise data to a car based LMS
with HD-storage, and stop bothering to recompres at all.
Regards, M-H