Golden Earring wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> Just to be clear, I'm not on here to argue with anyone.

If so, you must be highly pained by your energetic arguing on the side
of audio mysticism.

> I use my music system simply to listen to music: but I am consistently
> hearing new detail in familiar recordings, which is in a real sense
> quite sufficient for me.

Well then you have contradicted yourself, because the simplist thing is
what I do - listen to music for pleasure. Thing is, from time to time I
may inadvertently hear new detail, or not.

However, there is some interesting relevant science. Our brain's ability
to remember small details in sound is so limited (just a few seconds)
that we forget most of it a few seconds after we hear it. So, every time
we hear what seem to us to be new details when in fact nothing changed
but us.

> It's simply that having an enquiring mind, I am curious why this is the
> case. It may be an unexplained mystery of the universe, in which case
> I'll let it go.

No, it is well understood, but apparently not by you.

> I was hoping that someone would be able to at least come up with a
> plausible hypothesis for the phenomenon: I would be delighted to assist
> in rigorously testing any decent suggestion.

No need for help testing that because it is a known fact of science. I
personally encountered it back in the late 1970s. I've seen it in books
and papers written after 1985.

> I don't have golden ears or a closed mind.

That's good because they don't exist!

> It is in fact equally possible to attempt to refute a proposition by
> claiming an unimpeachable knowledge of "science" as it is to say I can
> hear something you can't.

Well, I am now 70 and I know for sure that things I heard easily when I
was in my 30s are not so easy or impossible for me now.

> A rational approach lies between these positions, otherwise we cannot
> have a genuine discussion. I was hoping to bring this thread back to an
> interesting discourse after the earlier shenanigans...
>
> Otherwise, I'll just enjoy the music!
> Dave :)

I predict that you will continue to resist the facts of science that I
post here. That how it always seems to work. People want me to be more
open minded, when it is they who are both ignorant and closed minded.