Golden Earring wrote:
> Hi Bill!
>
> It sure is a pretty deck (if you can find room for it, lol): you do have
> to change the damping fluid periodically since it tends to get clogged
> up with detritus.
>
> I'm afraid I stand my earlier comment that the LP12/Ittok with a low
> compliance cartridge gets a lot more information out of the groove
> however - the rationale is that the stylus moves, the arm/cartridge body
> doesn't. Also there's no isolation of the turntable/arm board from the
> rest of the deck on the Transcriptors. The strobe speed setting is very
> :cool: in combination with the damping paddle fine tune, however.
>
> Ultimately more form than substance: well worth keeping as a work of art
> though!
>
> Dave :)
>
> P.S. As I recall it got a few free product placements in the movies (I
> think there's one in Kubrick's "A Clockwork Orange" if I remember
> correctly,,, )

Yes, it's Alex's turntable on which he plays the music of Ludwig van:
http://www.filmandfurniture.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/record-player-1024x576.jpg

There's also one in the Design Collection of the Museum of Modern Art in
New York:
https://www.moma.org/collection/works/3339

I really should replace the damping fluid, and I could also use a new
drive belt.  Looking at it now, though, I see I have a V15 MkIV rather
than III.  I still have the original Transcriptors arm, although I
replaced it with the SME as soon as I got the turntable (acquired in the
1970s as part of a deal with Clive Taylor, former bassist of Amen
Corner).