jarome wrote:
> The Nyquist theorem says that sampling at twice the highest frequency in
> the source will reproduce it perfectly. So 44.1 kHz will get to 22 kHz
> in principle. But it is critical that there be NO signal above half the
> sample rate, or it is aliased below the 22 kHz into the audio band as
> bad distortion.

In fact DACs for high fidelity use have been built without anti-aliasing
filters. Some of them are sold commercialy and are highly admired by
some audiophiles. In general they don't sound all that bad because
program material with significant content above 20 KHz is relatively
rare.

Secondly many modern DACs have what are called Linear Phase filters and
they work as advertised. Their phase shift characteristic closely
matches that of a regular short delay, so in a certain sense they have
no excess delay beyond that which is inherent in playing a recording
some time after it was made.

> So, players must have a sharp low-pass filter in the stream.

False for the reasons given.

> The problem with this is that if the amplitude response has a sharp
> cutoff, the phase response oscillates wildly.

This is false even when linear phase filters are not used. The phrase
"oscillates wildly" while poetic, is not accurate. The oscillation is
damped. and therefore brief. Furthermore it can be completely eliminated
if the filter has what is known as a minimum phase characteristic which
is possible to achieve fairly economically given the continually falling
cost of digital logic ceircuitry. The damped rinigning takes place at
the Nyquist frequency which in a common CD player is outside the normal
audible range.

> The number of bits, to my ear does make a difference, especially on loud
> congested music, for example a symphony playing many parts loudly and at
> the same time (ives Symphony No. 3). 16 bits gets congested. It is hard
> to have the instruments maintain their unique place in the soundstage.
> In principle, by doing some slights of hand (interpolating -randomly-
> between bit levels) CDs claim to be able to get 19 bits, which might be
> sufficient. And I have heard some very good sounding CDs. But not that
> many. Remember that with 16 bits, there are only 65,000 levels (half
> negative), so there is a inherent 1/325 % distortion due to imperfect
> representation of the sample height.
> I care more about 24 bits than 96 kHz, since I am old and am lucky to
> hear above 15 kHz.

The above comments that I am trying to correct here are false for the
reasons given. I can debunk the second paragraph as well, but I think
the proven falsehoods in the first paragraph that I corrected make my
point - which is that these kinds of comments are false and constitute a
kind of religious faith that is not uncommon among poorly-informed
audiophiles. Knowlegable audiophiles simply know better.