bpa wrote:
> You could check if the noise is due to the USB GND & 5V power lines from
> either device by either cutting the GND and 5V wires in a USB cable or
> just putting thin slivers of paper in the USB socket at the outermost
> edges where the GND and 5V pins are.
>
> The USB signal are differential and since both devices are self powered
> - no USB power should not affect USB operation.

Interesting, I'll try that. However, I need usb power for my DAC. And I
have a splitter that connects to a linear psu and should bring only that
clean power over USB to the DAC. What makes me doupt is, that the noise
is there only when squeezelite is running and the DAC-setting in
Squeezelite is correctly configured. Which might indicate that the
problem lies in the signal, not in the power (that is probably
constantly on the SBi USB outputs)

However, I ordered a Sparky Usbridge, after reading this:
https://darko.audio/2018/02/step-up-from-a-raspberry-pi-with-allo-digitals-usbridge/
It looks like it comes preconfigured with Squeezelite, too, so it should
be no hassle... and if it is as good as described, it is worth it.