The original Wolfson card that was made for the early raspberry Pi's
sounds really good, I built a touch screen player using one. The second
generation Cirrus cards have sold out now, but the first gen Wolfson
card can be made to work with a current Pi. Farnell still have over 500
in stock and for £13 + vat you get 113 dB dynamic range, the ability to
drive sensible headphones + SPDIF I/O and analog I/O.

It takes a bit more work, but they sound really good for the money:

https://alw-audio.co.uk/?p=605

Beware that there's a noise gate on the card that's enabled by default,
that needs to be disabled to get the benefit of high resolution source
material:

https://alw-audio.co.uk/?p=669

A simple mod dramatically reduces PSU sensitivity too:

https://alw-audio.co.uk/?p=657

Andy.