ALW wrote:
> The original Wolfson card that was made for the early raspberry Pi's
> sounds really good, I built a touch screen player using one. The second
> generation Cirrus cards have sold out now, but the first gen Wolfson
> card can be made to work with a current Pi. Farnell still have over 500
> in stock and for £13 + vat you get 113 dB dynamic range, the ability to
> drive sensible headphones + SPDIF I/O and analog I/O + a 2W Class D amp
> if you need it.
>
> It takes a bit more work, but they sound really good for the money:
>
> https://alw-audio.co.uk/?p=605
>
> Beware that there's a noise gate on the card that's enabled by default,
> that needs to be disabled to get the benefit of high resolution source
> material:
>
> https://alw-audio.co.uk/?p=669
>
> A simple mod dramatically reduces PSU sensitivity too:
>
> https://alw-audio.co.uk/?p=657
>
> Andy.

Hmm, they seem to have cramped quite a lot of "glitz" into such a cheap
card ...when you say " sound really good for the money". Sure I could
believe that, but most important; how would it compare with the
mentioned Touch or a SB V3. (for your info, IMO is a Touch quite a lot
better than a SB V3) . And for me "a bit more work" seems like a lot?
I'm more of a "plug and play" guy ... ;-) :-)