Apologies for not being clear in the OP and for the late response. I had
to find time to do more tests.

The upper half of the screen shot is the waveform and can be ignored.
The lower half is the spectral analysis. Green is the SB3's headphone
output, and red is the phono output. My understanding has always been
that pink noise is equal noise energy per octave, and white noise is
equal energy per Hz, and that pink noise is what is usually used for
audio testing.

Anyway, I did some more tests. It turns out that if I use white noise
(top 2 screen shots), and a linear X axis on the spectral analyser then
I get a flat response. If I use "Octave" X axis then I get the rising
response although it rises only above 500Hz!??

If I use pink noise (bottom 2 screen shots) and a linear axis then I get
the decreasing response as expected. However pink noise and the "Octave"
X-axis gives flat down to 500Hz (as expected) but then rising below
500Hz. This of course is what I observed with the SB3 and I still don't
get why that is. I'd put it down to a dodgy pink noise file, except that
I tried two pink noise files obtained from entirely different places!

Well, I guess given the white noise results I have no reason there is
anything to worry about the SB3, except perhaps that the headphone
output is not great at lower frequencies, but I am not worried about
that.

30534305353053330532

|Filename: 2020_05_31 White noise. VA X=Octave24. SB3 - phono output - Tascam.
Rotel - Large spekaers, sub .jpg|
|Download: http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=30535|

SB3 -> Quad 909 -> Quad Electrostatic speakers, Quad 405 -> TBI
subwoofer
3 x SB3s + SB Radio
Rotel RSP1068 surround processor, Quad 99 -> B&W surround