I'm a on a budget audiophile with aging ears, but I have always believed
in putting your money in what you hear (speakers, headphones), and
anything else that creates the analog signal (turntable, DAC), and allot
of the rest comes down to supporting those components (enough power),
and minimizing what is added (noise, distortion, color, etc)

My main system is a touch into an oppo BDP105D (nice DA section, a $600
upgrade over the 103), I also have a second system with a touch into a
Schitt Bifrost D/A (about $600 USD). I have done an A/B of both systems
with the DAC's vs touch doing the DAC, and in my aging ears, the
difference is significant. The Oppo and Schitt comparison - I couldn't
tell.

So, I am +1 on the DAC, or those speakers you have been admiring :)

Jim