cliveb wrote:
> When I mentioned "boutique" gear I was primarily thinking of
> electronics. There are some weird and wonderful DACs and amplifiers out
> there that cost a fortune and perform no better than mainstream stuff at
> 1/10th the price.

Maybe - but by the sound of your previous post:

cliveb wrote:
>  pretty much all competently designed solid state electronics these days
> has capabilities

You've already made your mind up.

I tend to disagree. Sure, changing amplifiers will not yield the same
"in-your-face" difference a speaker might, but I challenge anyone to
find a "cheap-amplified" system that sounds anywhere near what a
competently designed systems sounds like (speakers being the same).

If you have a pair of B&W 802D up front, and are driving them with a
little Schiit integrated and DAC, you're not going to have the same
sounding system as someone who has them with a Ypsilon SET100 or
Technical Brain TBP-Zero.

> I've only heard the Apogee and ESL57. Both sounded great in their own
> way).

The Quads are cool - they are about the best speakers I've heard (in one
or two ways); and lacking in many others. But a very interesting
"second-system" speaker.