Tomas M:
> I didn't say it properly, I apologize. I was trying to say: "neither
> getattr nor anything else is called at all, the debug is entirely empty,
> the FUSE filesystem is untouched during aufs mount."

I guess fuse lookup will be called if you override it.
That's why I suggest it.
Additionally, mount.posixovl needs to initialize its root inode, since
the root inode is always in cache and lookup for it will not be called.

> This is not just a posixovl-problem. For example, NTFS-3G behaves the
> same - if you simply mount it and then try to add the mountpoint to aufs
> as a branch, it's not found by test_add().

Is NTFS-3G fuse-based too?
Then I suppose that,
- NTFS-3G customizes inode nlink too
- NTFS-3G doesn't override lookup either
- NTFS-3G doesn't initialize its root inode either

> Finally I believe it's perhaps a general problem of all fuse
> filesystems, or (the most likely) a bug in fuse, or a bug in aufs.

I believe it is a problem of fuse-based fs.

Junjiro Okajima