Hello,
I'm still trying to fix the problem with posixovl+aufs.
I was debugging it with Jan Engelhardt (posixovl author) and he thinks
it may be an aufs issue. The following script will make the error:

#!/bin/bash
mkdir dir1
touch dir1/something
mkdir union
mount.posixovl dir1
mount -t aufs -o br:dir1=rw aufs union

The mount call fails at test_add, line 377, because it thinks nlink=0.

If we run 'mount.posixovl' with -d parameter (debug), we can see that
nothing access the mounted directory dir1 at all during the aufs mount,
  GETATTR is not called, so it seems aufs can not know nlink properly.
If we stat the dir1 and after then we mount aufs, it's OK.

Jan suggests the following:

 > Try replacing aufs/opts.c,
 > near line 422:
 >         err = path_lookup(add->path, lkup_dirflags, &add->nd);
 > use "lkup_dirflags | LOOKUP_REVAL". (One would have to add it to
 > more places like branch deletion)

Would you please consider Jan's suggestion?

Thank you very much

Tomas M
slax.org