Hello Wolfgang,

Wolfgang Alper:
> Problem: aufs is quite slow due to re-reading all branches on every ls
> /mnt/aufs
        :::
> On every ls to /mnt/aufs, aufs re-reads each branch.
>
> Is this by design, or am i missing a configuration option?

First, give me these info please (see below).

And as you might know, every access to linux filesystem includes
"revalidating" a file. When you access aufs, it calls the "revalidate"
function in branch filesystems. If the function in your "slower" WAN
connection costs high, then what you should concentrate is the branch
filesystem instead of aufs.
So I'd ask you how could you confirm that "aufs re-reads each branch on
every ls"?
I mean, could you see the readdir operation via WAN connection, or is it
the revalidate operation?

There are an aufs feature called RDU (readdir in userspace) which is
generally faster than aufs readdir in kernel space, but I don't know
whether your ubuntu supports it or not. Even if it is supported, it
won't help you when the cause is in your "slower" WAN connection, I am
afraid.

(from the aufs README file)
5. Contact
When you have any problems or strange behaviour in aufs, please let me
know with:
- /proc/mounts (instead of the output of mount(8))
- /sys/module/aufs/*
- /sys/fs/aufs/* (if you have them)
- /debug/aufs/* (if you have them)
- linux kernel version
  if your kernel is not plain, for example modified by distributor,
  the url where i can download its source is necessary too.
        :::
- configuration (define/undefine CONFIG_AUFS_xxx)
- kernel configuration or /proc/config.gz (if you have it)
        :::

J. R. Okajima