Hello,

> "Christoph Pleger":
>> I am coming back to this old thread from March/April 2015. Because, when
>> just switching from Debian 8 to Ubuntu 16.04 on the NFS client, without
>> changing anything on the NFS server, I get "Operation not supported"
>> again
>> when trying to write anything to a read-write aufs on top of a read-only
>> NFS.
>
> Amazingly old mail thread.
> Anyway, would you try strace and find which systemcall returns the
> error?
> And if you can, try re-compiling aufs module with CONFIG_AUFS_DEBUG=y,
> set the module parameter 'debug' to Y, and reproduce the problem. Then
> we may be able to see something in the kernel log if we have a luck.

After installing the new-compiled module to the initramfs, the test
computer does not boot as far as it did before, but I can see interesting
messages on the console, like this:

[  193.1356342] aufs au_do_cpup_xattr:96:setupcon[987]: system.nfs4_acl,
err -95

I compared the kernel configs of Debian 8 and Ubuntu 16.04 and found that
that the Ubuntu kernel has an option "CONFIG_AUFS_XATTR", which is not
present in the Debian kernel.

Regards
  Christoph