On 19/01/11 23:49, Pierre Chapuis wrote:
On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 23:19:33 +1000, Allan McRae <al...@archlinux.org>
wrote:

Ah... OK. then I don't understand this:

On 19/01/11 22:49, Magnus Therning wrote:
Well, if the creation of the transitive closure of dependencies is
created at package build time, then it can be removed from pacman,
that should give a bit of a speed-up I suspect.

When pacman does dependency checks, it checks if the package listed
in the dependencies is installed. It does not check if all its
dependencies are installed too (as it is assumed that was done at the
time the dependency was installed). If we list the transitive closure
of dependencies, then pacman has to perform extra checks and so will
not give a speed-up.

Well, except if you assume that all packages do this perfectly.
Then when installing a package with '-S' Pacman can install its
dependencies with the equivalent of '-Sd', which will be faster.

Huh? How is no dependency checks (-Sd) equivalent to complete dependency checking (-S with a transitive closure of dependencies)? They are polar opposites.

Allan