Hi,

You folks are correct that my bringing in those topics was a poor choice in example. I did not want to initiate a debate about the ethics of any such hate speech or the validity of the packages that use such language.

I just wanted to highlight that as a project the Arch community is poorly equipped to deal with certain moral questions. I apologize if those topics offended anyone or contributed to unCoC like behavior.

Your example with protest-ware and further I would mention the controversy around offensive packages such as "fortune" https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/usr.bin/fortune/datfiles/Makefile?view=log I find too difficult to have an objective way to make a _correct_ guideline or ruling for their inclusion as the moral views of communities shift over time and will always remain subjective.

I would just like to highlight my stance that unless a package has been deemed illegal the US or German count (still not sure where Arch is based in) it should not be removed.

The CoC clearly outlines criminal actions like piracy are not allowed, but I do not see controversial packages like the sports/gambling ones as contributing to the Arch project holding a controversial view. No one is accusing Arch of harboring gambling sites, or creating football hooliganism.

As such I think the more laissez-faire approach to AUR moderation is in the best interest of the community as it matches closer to the CoC in sections https://terms.archlinux.org/docs/code-of-conduct/#respect-other-users and https://terms.archlinux.org/docs/code-of-conduct/#respect-other-users allowing any morally gray packages to exist, while removing blatantly illegal ones.

I hope I am not violating the CoC more, I do not mean to flame or upset anyone, but the nature of this conversation (ethics, when applied to enforcement actions becomes politics) will be a violation of the CoC. I don't know how we as a community can form an agreement or growth without discussing it though.

If my response is against the intent of the discussion and is causing more division in the community, please let me know and I refocus my efforts in ways that are more productive to the AUR and Arch project.

Regards,

Robin Candau: