On 9/14/26 10:16, Claudia Pellegrino wrote:
Hi Maarten,

Hey,

Thanks for your kind reply.


> But at the very least the automated emails could have a link to a wiki
> page explaining these procedures.

A good first step would be adding this information to the wiki in the
first place. I think a good place for that info to live is the Requests
section of the AUR guidelines [1]. If you (or anyone else) want to help
out, feel free to discuss your suggestion with the wiki maintainers in
#archlinux-wiki on IRC, or on the talk page of the article.

Right, good point. I will see if I can find the time for this, I'm also terribly busy, but I don't like to only complain and expect others to fix it.



> Sure, people should read, but we are all humans. Even people who maintain
> software packages are usually people.

So are the AURweb developers and AUR moderators.


> So please don't just dismiss this kind of feedback out of hand.

On the contrary. I agree in that the current process is not exactly
user-friendly. This has been stated many times. No matter how justified
your criticism is, please understand that the AUR is a piece of software
from the noughties. It was never developed with a 2020s internet and
audience in mind, not technically nor in terms of scale nor standards of
user expectations. Arch Linux developers don’t have the capacity to fix
all of these issues as quickly as one might expect. The best thing you
can do is understand that we acknowledge the issues and exercise some
patience, and ideally help out with crafting some documentation.


Regards
Claudia

[1]: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/AUR_submission_guidelines#Requests


Of course, I also understand this. And I also think usually the replies from Arch Linux project members tend to be balanced. It's just that I've seen a lot of messages from other users on the list that rush to defend Arch Linux. That is nice in itself, but  it tends to result in a knee-jerk reaction that completely ignores the feedback itself and distracts from the actual content.

I did not mean to imply that the Arch Linux project members don't take feedback serious.

Again, thanks for your reply. I will try to find the time to update the wiki, and see if I can send a PR to the AUR website too once the wiki has a good page to link to.


Kind regards,
Maarten de Vries

Reply via email to