Yes but how many hours did the GFA report to ATSB that didn't actually happen?

In 2009 I got a little card with the statistical return form for the BD-4 to DOT and RD. It had the hours flown by various branches of sport aviation and gliding claimed to have done 160,000 hours in 2008.

Really?

I put a pointed note in the comments section of the stats form saying I didn't believe it. (neither did a couple of friends of mine who maintain gliders for a living. Both of them took a look at that claim and fell about laughing because they knew what the hours flown each year were on the gliders that came into their workshops). A week later on Friday afternoon at 5pm I got a phone call from a bloke at DOT and RD in Canberra. He said they knew the figure was grossly inflated but that's what the GFA reported. Clearly the government doesn't care about gliding.

So how many gliders and motorgliders are there on the register? When you see used ads how old are the gliders and how many hours?

A 150 hours a year may be right for a competition pilot practising diligently. I suspect many do a fair bit less. I had done 147 hours in the previous 12 months and 47 launches at the end of the 1981 Waikerie Nationals. I did 250 hours in 1985-86 but 50 were in Texas so weren't Australian gliding. 80 of those 200 hours in Oz were in one 28 day period. One SA state comps, a few days of "just for fun" including one 500k triangle and then a Nationals. I was thoroughly sick of it. I remember being very reluctant to get out of bed for the last day of the Nationals.

I do know that when I was SAGA vice president in the mid 1980s the average GFA member did 15 hours a year.

Mike