On Mar 3, 2016, at 4:48 PM, Mike Borgelt <mborg...@borgeltinstruments.com>
wrote:
> Also I really liked your guest article in the last AOPA magazine.
> Can you post it here?

Sure. I haven’t seen it in print, so I don’t know how they edited it, but
here’s the original copy:

 "Things that irk me about CASA's online regulatory services survey."

CASA has been asking aviation stakeholders to fill out a voluntary online
survey which seeks to baseline their performance. The survey poses a series of
statements or questions, and asks respondents to provide a rating on a scale
ranging from “strongly agree” to “strongly disagree."
There is a question on the fourth or fifth screen which asks you to rate
whether you agree or disagree with the statement, "Regulations play a key role
in ensuring that I operate safely."

CASA's belief that that statement needs to be true is one of their weirder
affectations. If it were true, my safety standards would change when I flew in
different jurisdictions with different regulations.

But they don't: The USA doesn't have a "minimum height" rule like Australia
does, but that doesn't mean that I'm going to plough into trees. Much of the
world has no maximum altitude before O2 must be carried and used, but I'm not
suddenly going to choose to be hypoxic if I fly in those places. My safety
standards are a product of my training, my airmanship, and my personal minima,
and where I pay attention to regulations at all it's almost always to have
arguments with people on the internet, rather than to actually affect the
safety of my flying.

But CASA believes that their regulations are critical to safety. Moreover, they
also believe that the regulatory reform that everyone has been distracted by
for most of the last 20 years is all about better safety outcomes.

So, is it?

Unlike most Government departments, CASA's performance is objectively
measurable. If their regulatory reform is actually enhancing safety, we should
see ATSB accident and incident stats decrease. And, because our regulations are
(according to CASA) more modern and better than our overseas brethren, our
stats really ought to be better than everyone else's, or at least trending
towards better faster than everyone else's.

But they aren't.

Our rate of accidents is more or less constant. Pilots make the same dumb
decisions over and over, having the same accidents over and over, no matter how
many regulations they need to ignore to get there. And completely compliant
pilots (which is what virtually all of us like to believe we are!) are almost
as likely to kill themselves as lawbreakers.

Over the lifetime of CASA's regulatory reform program, our accident stats have
barely changed. Which tells me that we wouldn't have been worse off if the
regulatory reform program had never been started in the first place; and we're
unlikely to be better off if it ever finishes.

Even worse: Our accident stats aren't materially different from anywhere else
in the world. We'd be just as well off if a significantly smaller and cheaper
CASA had said, "We're not going to waste any time writing our own rules, we're
just going to photocopy the regs from the New Zealanders. Or the Americans."
(just don't choose the Europeans, they're even worse than CASA and still don't
fly any safer than we do)

They've spent hundreds of millions of dollars over decades, and have barely
nudged the accident stats. If they're all about enhancing safety, they have
objectively failed.

As a private pilot, the thing I want to see from CASA is pretty simple: "Right,
boys, pencils down. Sit back, put your hands on your heads. ON YOUR HEAD,
Jenkins. We're waiting. Good. Now don't touch anything."

Then, once they're no longer consumed and distracted by rewriting regulations
which accident stats indisputably show didn't need rewriting in the first
place, I want them to cast their eyes around the world to places where aviation
thrives, and cherry-pick the best bits.

I want a regulatory system which assumes we're going to look after our own
safety (because we manifestly do -- and the people who don't aren't swayed by
regulations anyway). Having made that assumption, the regs can then be all
about enabling things and making them easier, instead of being about penalty
clauses and strict liability.

Buckleys and none, right? I fully expect to be making these same points, after
watching the same arbitrary enforcement overreaches in the face of the same
accident stats ten years from now, assuming GA still exists in something like
its present form by then. We can't have a negotiation about CASA's future, we
can only be negotiated at.

Have a look at the latest ATSB statistical report, and read it with an attitude
that says, "If CASA has objectively put their money where their
safety-enhancing mouth is, there should be a long term fall in the accident or
fatality rate per million departures or per million hours, and we could explain
it by reference to regulatory improvement." Can you see ANY evidence of that?
Figure 17 on page 59 speaks closest to my class of operation; what about yours?
Are you on figure 21 on page 79? Has CASA's enforcement and regulatory reform
made your sector of aviation safer? Or would you be in exactly the same boat
under the regs as they existed ten years ago?
http://www.atsb.gov.au/media/5474110/ar2014084_final.pdf

If you would, why did they expend so much time, effort, money, and aggravation
to change them? What is it all for? Who is actually better off?

To be clear: I'm not suggesting that regulations shouldn't change. If they
didn't, we wouldn't have light sport or ultralight aircraft, we'd all be using
huff-duff instead of GNSS, and we'd still be saying Able Baker Charlie Dog
instead of Alpha Bravo Charlie Delta just like everyone did in the good ol'
days.

I'm suggesting that CASA's notion that safety is caused by regulations is a
fundamentally batty oversimplification, one that's only capable of arising in
an organization whose only tool in the toolbox is regulation. "When your only
tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail."

So of course they think like that, regulation is literally the only lever they
have to pull. But I don't think anyone else has such a naively childlike view
of how safety happens, maintained with such palpable indifference to
objectively measurable accident data.

What I'm suggesting is that the mindset change CASA needs to be led through is
one which breaks the explicit mental linkage between safety and regulations.

Once they've achieved that, they can approach regulation as an enabler, rather
than the horrible arbitrary punitive mess of bullshit that virtually every
submission to the Forsyth Inquiry complained about, as if with one voice.

If Skidmore is really serious about cultural change, this is where he'll start.