On Mar 4, 2016, at 12:51 PM, Teal <te...@internode.on.net> wrote:

>> That gives you around one crash per 1600 hours or so for motorcycles. I
>> guess this is crashes not fatals? If so sounds about right for gliders too.
>
> Yep, that's crashes, not fatals. Finding papers that have exposure data *and*
> fatality data for motorcycles would take a bit more time (I didn't see any
> during my quickish search earlier); and the nature of the beast is that just
> copypasting the exposure data into someone else's fatality rate calculation
> is prone to give you wildly inaccurate results, due to differences in sample
> characteristics, methodology, etc, etc. (These things are never easy.)

It’s close enough for a rough-order-of-magnitude estimation.

If they differ by a factor of two, most practical purposes they’re equivalent
to each other. If they differ by a factor of ten, they’re meaningfully
distinguishable.

For the purpose of evaluating your own personal risk management, flying small
planes and riding motorcycles are “close enough."

   - mark