From: Aus-soaring [mailto:aus-soaring-boun...@lists.base64.com.au] On Behalf
Of Teal
Sent: Thursday, 10 March 2016 8:22 PM
To: Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia.
<aus-soaring@lists.base64.com.au>
Subject: Re: [Aus-soaring] Comparing accident rates

On 10/03/2016 6:50 PM, Texler, Michael wrote:
>>   I've not seen them described that way in the road safety literature
>> that I'm familiar with. How would that work? If the number of
>> accidents is on the Y axis, what variable would the X axis have? If
>> we go with road accidents (my field of expertise) it can't be
>> age/driving experience, because the accident stats in NO way form a
>> poisson distribution  when age/experience is your X-axis variable.
>> (Actually, road prangs by age/experience gives you more of a U-shaped
>> curve.) Also, rate of accidents (be they road prangs or glider
>> prangs) aren't constant over time (as required for a poisson
>> distribution to be your distribution of
> choice) - they vary by time of day, for fairly obvious reasons, as well as
other things (day of the week, long weekends, etc etc).

>> You appear to be approaching the issue from a rather different
>> statistical approach to the ones I'm familiar with. Could you spell
>> out your approach/methods in more detail? It's always interesting to
>> hear how folk in other fields approach problems I'm familiar with.
>> :-)
> I am approaching it as counting events occurring over a duration of time
(analogous to say counting disintegrations per second for radioactive
decay).

> Y axis would be the accident rate with any metric that you care to choose
(i.e. accidents per 1,000 hours flown, accidents per 100km travelled,
accidents per 1,000 flights etc.).
> Y axis would be a duration of time, i.e over one year, over 10 years, over
100 years.

> Then it is a case of using the appropriate test to compare the two groups
(null hypothesis being that the accident rate between two groups is the
same).

I'm afraid I'm still not with you. *Which* two groups, exactly?
Displaying all recorded traffic accidents over time in that way will (if you
use Australian data) give you a single line that (depending on the period
covered, but lets go with "the last 20 years") trends downward over time.
Who are you comparing again whom, in your example?

> A fairly blunt measure granted.
>
> Given your experience with road accidents analysis, how would you approach
it?

Well, it would depend on exactly which question was being asked.  If we were
interested in the numbers of accidents had by drivers of different ages, my
previous example (up in the first para quoted above) was a simple
descriptive graph showing difference in number of accidents by age, for a
set amount of time (a year, say). Or we could do it another way, and have a
graph with dates along the X axis, and separate lines (one for each age
group, maybe 16-25, 26-35 and so on) showing how accident numbers have
changed over time for each age group, if we were interested in seeing if
there were any obvious differences in crash rates over time by age group.

Or, if the question whether a particular time of day is more crash-prone
than other times, we could graph all the accidents occurring in the last
year with the X axis showing hours of the day (midnight-0200, 0201-0400,
etc). Or whatever.  All this is pretty basic stuff. We could go on from
there, and report means and standard deviations for age groups/time
periods/whatever of interest, and see if anything leaps out in terms of
obvious differences or trends. But that still isn't going to get you
anything you might want to discuss using null hypotheses or p values ...
for that you really do need actual *inferential* statistical tests, with
specific groups that you are comparing. And this broad-brush descriptive
approach isn't going to give you that. You need to narrow it down a bit.

So: lets come back to the original topic that started all this - glider
accidents. How would I approach that?

Well, first would be deciding exactly what question I want an answer to.
Do I want to know if the glider prang rate is increasing or decreasing over
time? Or do I want to know whether more crashes are happening in comps than
in cross-country gliding?  Or how the glider crash rate as a whole compares
with the number of motorcycle crashes for a given period?

Lets go with the last one, since we were also discussing that earlier.
Firstly, getting a good source of data for *both* of those elements in the
comparison is tricky. So I'm gonna handwave past that and assume that we
have good quality data on both of these, including exposure data (i.e. how
much time was spent per pilot/cyclist actually flying/cycling during that
time period), because exposure is critical for topics like
this: it means absolutely nothing to say that there were 12 glider prangs
and 355 bike prangs in a given period, if we don't *also* know that there
were a lot more cyclists on the road, driving for a lot more overall hours,
than there were glider pilots in the air during the same period.

OK. So now I hypothetically have ten years' worth of crash rates per hour of
flying or riding for the respective groups, and I want to compare them. This
is where the inferential statistics come in. There will be differences
between any two groups that are simply random chance, but the real trick is
identifying *actual* differences through the "noise" of random variation. We
want to perform a simple comparison of the two groups, to see if they
basically have the same means and variances - i.e. is it reasonable to
assume they're both samples from one overall population? (Yes, I know
they're probably not in real life, but that's how the statistical tests
work.) In this example I'd probably go for a t-test for independent samples
(since we're assuming that the bikers and the pilots are, by and large,
different people). And what that would give me would be a probability value
which, as you pointed out earlier, is basically the probability that the
difference between the groups is due to random chance, as opposed to being a
real difference. So if we get a p value of .05 from my t-test, that tells us
that there is a 5% chance that this result is a random fluke, and a 95%
chance that it's a real difference between our bikers and glider pilots.

Lets mix it up a bit. What if we want to add other factors into the model to
see if that makes any difference... age, say. Are the patterns of accidents
for pilots and bikers of different ages similar? Does it matter what the age
of the vehicle they're flying/riding is? For those I'd probably run a
regression or analysis of variance of some kind on the data, with the exact
type dependent on the exact nature of the additional factor(s) I'm plugging
into the model. Or lets say I come across a group of bikers who also fly
gliders. That's extra-useful, because, as the *same* individuals doing both
activities, we can get a
*lot* more statistical power out of whatever model we choose.
Repeated-measures analysis of variance may well be my tool of choice for
that sort of analysis. Or maybe even a mixed-methods general linear model
(now, *those* can get complex enough to lead to tears and tearing of
hair...)

And so on it goes.

Does that help clarify things?

Teal