We could go back to that system:
White K21, White K21, White G29, White G29 ... :)

-----Original Message-----
From: Aus-soaring [mailto:aus-soaring-boun...@lists.base64.com.au] On Behalf
Of Noel Roediger
Sent: Sunday, 24 April 2016 6:47 PM
To: 'Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia.'
Subject: Re: [Aus-soaring] Glider Registration

Further to Emilis' comments:

DCA did not require Australian gliders and sailplanes to be registered until
about 1954.

Until then - while GFA had to satisfy DCA particular type held a CofA, our
aircraft were  generally known by their colour. e.g. Golden Grunau, Blue
Grunau, Silver Olympia, Yellow Witch etc..

One of a type in Aus. were known by their factory designation - Gull,
Gull1V, Kranich etc..

The first sailplane I can remember with a DCA supplied fire-proof
registration plate was the ES 49b built by the ASC and that was in late
1955.

Similar plates were attached the clubs other aircraft - a Munn Falcon, Gull
and the Golden Grunau at that time.

No GFA aircraft was required to externally display it registration as other
powered types were.

Only a few months later SAGA held Australia's fixed site competition at
Wakerie and sailplanes were required to display a competition number which
was chosen or allocated.

This method of identification became the norm and continued until the late
60's after which it became necessary to display registration letters on the
fin and under-wing.

Those aircraft registered VH-G-- only needed to display the last two reg.
letters but when the VH-G ran out all other sailplanes had to display the
last three letters underwing and because they wouldn't fit at legal size on
most fin and rudders they are displayed on the rear fuselage.

People requiring a particular VH reg. can either reserve it in the event the
current owner cancelling it or making a financial offer to its holder.

Some years ago the ASC operated a Callair  tug - VH-MPA and a local
community wished to have that reg. and the reg. was sold for significant
$'s.

Anyone with a need to know can check VH-G-- on CASA's web site.

Noel.