> On 24 Oct 2016, at 8:59 PM, Colin Collum <crcol...@melbpc.org.au> wrote:
>
> Now it looks like I can't read a dictionary properly. I got it arse-about.
> Skeptical is the US version.

Color me surprised.

If we’re going to get technical, I’ll point out that the Macquarie Dictionary
advises that US and British spelling conventions are both fine for Australian
English.

Then, if that doesn’t end the conversation, I’ll point out that I use American
spellings all the time specifically to annoy people who claim to be pedants.

Also: The Americans invented it, if they want to call it an “airplane” instead
of an “aeroplane,” that’s fine by me. If the Brits think they know better,
maybe they should have thought about that when they were losing the War of
Independence. :-)

  - mark