At 10:59 PM 10/24/2016, you wrote:

If we’re going to get technical, I’ll point out that the Macquarie Dictionary advises that US and British spelling conventions are both fine for Australian English.

Then, if that doesn’t end the conversation, I’ll point out that I use American spellings all the time specifically to annoy people who claim to be pedants.

Also: The Americans invented it, if they want to call it an “airplane” instead of an “aeroplane,” that’s fine by me. If the Brits think they know better, maybe they should have thought about that when they were losing the War of Independence. :-)

  - mark

Yup. In a masterful display of military prowess the Brits managed to get 60,000 of their troops trapped on a peninsula with the French Navy in control of the waters around it. Still beats me how they got enough people annoyed enough to start shooting at Redcoats.

As for airplane, that's what Wilbur and Orville called it.

Mike