I haven't been to Bundaberg since 2009 and haven't had any contact with Jabiru or MicroAir since then, Noel.

CAMIT who used to actually make the Jabiru engines in Bundaberg used to make our vario fronts and backs on their CNC machines but we have an alternate source as they went bust two weeks ago. Jabiru are operating at a low level. CASA hasn't yet quite succeeded in putting them out of business.

Ongoing support of low production items is always going to be an issue. We have a Lowrance 2000C colour GPS in the BD-4. Bought in late 2008 and not too long thereafter Lowrance ceased dealing with aviation so there is no support for the hardware or for database updates. Not nice as the database updates were from Jeppeson who ceased support when Lowrance did and nobody open sourced the Lowrance data format. Great GPS though. Apparently Mr Lowrance was into aviation and when he retired the company abandoned aviation.

We've seen this is a problem with motorgliders too. We've had 50 years of production composite gliders and some of these, properly looked after are still perfectly airworthy. About the only small aircraft engine manufacturers who are still in business after the last 50 years are Lycoming and Continental, just off the top of my head. Rotax ceased to make certified motor glider two strokes in 1995 and this led to some unfortunate conseuences over the next few years with varios engines being tried and in some cases abandoned quite quickly although some had been sold to customers.

There does seem to be a slowly dawning recognition by some authorities that certification is hindering both development and safety. Let alone the corruption opportunities for certification to be used as a non tariff barrier (see EU).

Anyone who has had to maintain a motorglider for some time will know that "certification" of the engine and installation is worth very little.

Mike