nope, we haven't :-)
"The Facebook website was launched on February 4, 2004"
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facebook> (and the internet never lies)

GFA only created a mailing list in May 2015.
By the way, when was this aus-soaring list started? And was it Simon who
did it?
Can't recall when I joined the list - 'tis been almost 10 years ago.
I started gliding 30 years ago.

Let me re-phrase then:
Without the initial comment on facebook we would have never had a
discussion like this or re-opened a discussion so easily. The list server
allows sharing of ideas - easily.
It's not just a brainstorm session - it's a brainmonsoon. It is seasonal
and facets will reappear from time to time.

I don't know if I would have ever heard all the ideas that have been thrown
around without subscribing to this list.
I bet that one outcome is that some people are contacted off-list because
of their ideas / experiences.

The cycle of ongoing improvement. If we do not question, we will never have
to change.
If we do not change / adapt - we will go extinct. (note: meteor strikes are
not covered in this policy until interplanetary travel is possible)

There is something like on-line etiquette
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etiquette_in_technology>.
Even some people in high political positions don't know or choose to ignore
the rulz of on-line etiquette.
(some bullies don't like being bullied?)
Again: I missed the facebook comment. Maybe there was some truth in that
comment. Just the packaging was most likely non-recyclable - in other
words: maybe politically incorrect.
Typing an e-mail is different to a face-to-face conversation. I am not sure
if "that comment" would have been made face-to-face. Maybe it was not meant
to offend the way it did. Electronic media is a strange thing.
Facebook is more public in comparison to this list. Maybe a moderator could
have just been contacted.
This list had a bit of a shake-up not long ago and the tone has
definitely changed.

OK, here is a direct attack: In my view, the good people in the GFA are
doing a fine job. Every member of the GFA is included in that attack - so
feel offended! (bummer, even in electronic media not everyone can read
between the lines)

And here is a challenge: Anyone making a comment here should be prepared to
put the required effort and action behind their suggestions.
We are not in a position where we can just delegate by stating a sentence.
That goes right down to the "lowest level".
"you should be doing this" - heard that one before?
I charge $11 / hour (that's inclusive of GST) to listen to good advise - a
real bargain. Some people are even too stingy to pay this little fee.

Here is one from way back: "ask not what a club can do for you; ask
what..." you know the rest..
Constructive suggestion:
When was the last time you thanked your club for supporting your special
interest for running a comp, weekend operation etc.
When was the last time you were a duty pilot or pushed a club glider?
*Disclaimer: If you are a tow pilot and actually do full days of towing:
you fall under the rare species category and are naturally exempt from
having to do anything else! We do look after minority groups!*
You can plan ahead to be a duty pilot (I know that's the unthinkable! But
some survived this time in their life and come back for more.)
You can plan to bring a non-aviation infected person along and let them get
a feel for what we are doing.
A flight line can be as interesting and exiting as a carrier operation. You
have the chance to do some explaining (and bragging) whilst being a duty
pilot. That is more important than just prancing.. Maybe you get them
hooked. You'd be their mentor if they are thinking of starting.
Gliding is not for everyone. But it is for some.
Erich