Hi,

 While some PPL holders may be active pilots a lot aren't in my experience and
keep current flying the tug. I had instances of pilots not being able to find
the strip I landed on 30 klms away and another on a ferry flight having to ask
me which way to head as he was lost.

 Possibly not their fault entirely as mostly go up and down at club, not
current xc pilots and bi-annuals are often nothing more than a circuit in a
familiar aerodrome. Usually doing all the tug pilots that day to keep the cost
down.

Maybe PPL need a currency rating ie no cross country in last 2 years (power or
glider) you need to do a nav. I know the price of maintaining my PPL is one of
the reasons I let it lapse.

I don't know if just having the piece of paper makes you a great pilot. I've
seen some notable exceptions.

cheers

Laurie