> On 7 Feb 2017, at 9:23 AM, James McDowall <james.mcdowal...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Can anyone enlighten me as to which piece of legislation says a GPL has no
> validity in Australia?

CASR 61.145 permits flight in a glider without a glider pilot license under
stated conditions.

CASR 61.1515 limits exercise of the privileges of a glider pilot license to
activity “conducted in accordance with … the operations manual of a
recreational aviation administration organisation that administers glider
activities…”

The only such organization is the GFA.

The operations manual of the GFA requires pilots to be GFA members and submit
to the GFA instructional system, flying GFA-registered aircraft maintained
under the GFA airworthiness system.

If a pilot is a GFA member and has submitted to the GFA instructional system,
flying a GFA-registered aircraft maintained under the GFA airworthiness system,
they don’t actually need a glider pilot license in the first place.

Thus the glider pilot license is useless in Australia. The credential that CASA
recognizes as authority to fly a glider in Australia is the GFA-issued GPC, not
the one on your Part 61 license.

Here’s Simon Hackett’s account of what it takes to get one, by the way:
https://simonhackett.com/2015/04/17/australian-to-usa-glider-pilot-license/
<https://simonhackett.com/2015/04/17/australian-to-usa-glider-pilot-license/>

> An Australian ‘GLIDER PILOT LICENSE’ (GPL) issued by CASA (the Australian
> version of the FAA) is not a license to fly gliders in Australia.
>
> Instead, the GPL is it seems, merely an administrative construct ... that
> joins the dots between an international licensing system (that wants to see
> an ICAO compliant thing called a license) and the Australian glider flying
> environment administered by the GFA

  - mark