On Feb 7, 2017, at 2:09 PM, James McDowall <james.mcdowal...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Mark,
> Agree with most of what you wrote except that CASR 61.1515 does not say that
> you have to be a member. It says that " (1)  The holder of a glider pilot
> licence is authorised to conduct an activity in the exercise of the
> privileges of the licence only if the activity is conducted in accordance
> with: <>
>  <>                     (a)  the operations manual of a recreational aviation
> administration organisation that administers glider activities;"
>
> That is different to being a member. It is the ops regulations that mandate
> membership.

It isn’t the regulations, it’s the manual.

The GFA MOSP (“operations manual”) says you need to be a member.

The MOSP defines an “Authorised Inspector” as a GFA member holding an authority
to perform sailplane airworthiness functions. You’ll need that to DI your
aircraft before you fly it.

Then MOSP Pt 2 3.1.1 says, “An aircraft to which these Regulations apply must
not be operated except by an individual who is a member of the GFA (CAO 95.4).

MOSP Pt 2 3.1.2 enables people without pilot licenses to act as flight crew
“providing he or she complies iwth the conditions set out in CAO 95.4,
subsections 5 and 6.”  CAO 95.4 section 5 says you need to be a member of the
GFA or someone who has been given written approval by CASA (which you can’t get
anymore).

Given that the MOSP says in multiple locations, directly and by reference, that
you can’t follow it unless you are a GFA member, you are self-evidently not
conducting activities in accordance with the GFA MOSP if you are flying without
being a GFA member.

You also can’t be a GFA member without being a member of a GFA-affiliated club,
so you actually need to be a member of TWO organizations to be compliant with
the GFA operations manual.

> CAO95.4 still permits the parallel path. I explored this a couple of years
> ago but the conditions were impossible to comply with and CASA knew it!

So it doesn’t actually permit the parallel path, then.

> Also I know of 2 LAMEs that are prepared to issue MR's on gliders.

There’s no shortage of LAMEs who’ll issue CASA MRs on type certificated
composite aircraft these days.

  - mark