>From: "David Conway" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Don't call the kettle black (if you are a pot)!

You picked me, David!  My wife's the stats teacher, not me.

She gives you an 'F' for the phoney error calculation.   :)

As you say at the bottom, the sample must be representative of the
population (only THEN would the population size not matter).  With a
self-selected sample, the only chance of useful information (well below the
level of valid stastistical inference) is to have a very large sample.
Ron's was tiny.

That's why the GFA didn't amalgamate.  With a voluntary vote, they still
couldn't be sure about the opinion of the non-voting members.  In your
stats, they would have been justified in amalgamating because the probable
'error' was just over 4%.

A self-selected sample is a biased sample and an 'error' calculation has no
meaning.  No valid inferences can be made from a bodgy sample about those
not in the sample.  You can make no valid inferences about all the pilots
who DIDN'T vote (either for amalgamation or for an RPL).

> >I think rational discussion is a better basis for decision making.

I still prefer that to misleading statistics.  :)

Graeme Cant