Notice my name used somewhere but on the general topics I can say
1 Recently flew the Pawnee Autotug and was extremely impressed with it
(except possibly the exhaust but that is minor) Thanks Dave S
2. VH-KML C150 with 180HP is definately better than Pawnee 235 and I would
say in comp conditions of towing is about the same as IGR a 250HP without
hopper Pawnee which I have flown a lot.
3. A german recently visited and said they have been using a UL called a
"Wild Thing" fitted with Aussie Jabiru 6 cyc with german electronic fuel
injection for towing this last season and it is "very good" and is better
than the Rotaxfalke which they also use for glider towing.  He was a bit
amaized that we do not tow with motorgliders and ultralights in Australia
yet! and I was very interested that they use the Aussie Jabiru 6cyc 120 HP
4.  Towing with motorgliders and ultralights the limit is the AUW of the
combination so training may have to be done with a Libelle on the back and
keep fuel low or not at all if heavy pilots.
5.  I have done almost 2000hrs towing in Pawnees, C180, PA18 and L19 etc and
all I can now say give me a motorglider anyday as I always have an out in
the event of engine failure and if on glider end it is so relaxing to fly
behind a tug without the slipstream to avoid. At this stage I would say I
would prefer 100ft less rate of climb with a towing motorglider than an
ultralight which may bounce around a bit on one of those strong inland
thermal days. Also I would like to see stronger undercarriages in ULs for
paddock use.  I may change my views when I have more experience with UL
towing.
6.  I really really hope GFA etc can adjust there rules and reg to
accommodate towing with such aircraft and in particular re engined
motorgliders.  There is a real future and it is much more fun and safer as
well. I can go to Ian Kearsley at Engineering Support Branch of CASA and he
will give me an Experimental Certificate of Airworthiness or whatever but I
really want to do it through the GFA.

If there is somebody out there can help then please make contact.  The
problem is a J2200 is certified and a J3300 is not and Jabiru are unlikely
to follow through with certification as now most people go the
"Experimental" way. GFA only want certified engines although I do believe
the later Rotaxs and their replacement parts are not certified but they are
used in motorgliders. These motorgliders seem to maintain their CofA via the
GFA system

Ian McPhee
Box 657  Byron Bay  NSW  2481  Australia
Tel +61 (0)2 66 847 642  Mob +61 (0)428 847 642