Sent: Monday, August 23, 2004 5:01 PM
Subject: Re: [Aus-soaring] Oxygen

At 04:17 PM 23/08/04 +1000, you wrote:
>Brian
>
>In this day and age of litigation and fine print "get out of jail free"
>clauses, I would think that any savvy insurer's lawyers would pick up on the
>pilot being above 10,000 ft without oxygen and try to invalidate the cover.
>
>Even more worrying, when I asked about how oxygen (or lack thereof) applied
>to FAI badge/certificate claims, I was told that it is not checked.
>
>Indeed, there is no requirement on the part of the Official Observer to make
>sure that the flight was legal with regard to airspace violations or the
>carriage of oxygen.
>
>I found this amazing, and still do.  Why on earth are the FAI (and OOs and
>Certificates Officers) allowing pilots to tempt fate by flying in a manner
>which is clearly illegal as well as potentially dangerous ?  OK, so maybe
>different countries have different legal requirements to comply, but surely
>the basic idea of "thou shalt conduct your badge flight according to the
laws
>of the countries in which you fly" should be a mandatory part of the FAI
>Sporting Code rules.
>
>In the years I've been flying I know of several pilots who have successfully
>claimed gold heights when they flew well above 10,000 ft without oxygen.
>
>As for me, I'll wait until a wave camp or XC camp where I'm carrying the
>right gear before I get above 10,000 ft.  No ifs or buts about it.
>
>Cheers
>
>Jason

Well maybe they don't do that because they aren't policemen and do not want
to be policemen.

If you seriously think the GFA BBL or any top up third party cover is good
for more than showing the piece of paper to the contest management I think
you are seriously deluded. But, no doubt, having the piece of paper gives
you a warm and fuzzy feeling.

I bet they don't even check that the people conformed to VMC criteria
either and didn't climb closer than 1000 feet to cloudbase or didn't fly up
the side of cloud in wave closer than 1.5 km to the cloud.

Now please don't tell us that you have never climbed to cloudbase while
above 3000AMSL or at greater than 1000 feet AGL, Jason. Enough of the the
hypocrisy.

Would all those who wish to be policemen please for chrissakes go and join
your state or the federal police services where you can be gainfully
occupied harassing real criminals  and leave the rest of us alone?

Mike
Borgelt Instruments - manufacturers of quality soaring instruments
phone Int'l + 61 746 355784
fax   Int'l + 61 746 358796
cellphone Int'l + 61 428 355784
          Int'l + 61 429 355784