What a load of cods!!

Time was and will always be a problem; even for retired folks I am told.
It is how we prioritise the use of our time that changes, which brings
us back to the same old question, how we make gliding more attractive to
potential members.

Advertising companies make billions of dollars every year doing just that.
Look at how much money and effort the AFL and NRL are currently putting into
their season opening promotions. Now check the last GFA financial report and
tell me how much the GFA invested in promoting the sport outside the sport
itself.

The public visibility of gliding is almost non existent. When was the last
time you saw a TV doco on gliding, and when was the last time you saw a TV
doco on parachuting, ballooning, hang gliding, base jumping etc. Personally
I see them regularly, and get frustrated that gliding is not get the
exposure. Just think of the exposure gliding would get if we could get Macca
on a Sunday Morning broadcasting from a gliding site. I have tried to
discuss this with some of our GFA representatives and they don't seem
interested - they certainly do not reply to e-mails on the subject.

Nick is right "Gliding is Cool" and can also be high tech. I have already
said our club does not seem to have any problem recruiting a good cross
section of younger and older members. During this last cross country season
one of our younger members made a great 5 minute movie on the camp, this
will be available on our web site soon. If you want a copy e-mail me, but if
you do not like big downloads don't, it is over 5MB

Our club is sick of waiting for the GFA or whoever to do something, and we
have several strategies in place to increase local exposure. We have set up
our web site so that anyone targeting aviation and or tourism in our region
on the internet will see our site. We are members of the local Chamber of
Commerce, we have brochures in the local tourist information centres, and we
are a visiting stop on the local out of town tourist drive. These activates
are primarily targeting the Joy Flight market, and yes we do have an AOC.
Joy Flights do not = new members, but they are great exposure and cash flow
generators, reducing the costs you have to pass on to members. Visitors are
treated like guests, pre booked joy flights are encouraged fly earlier in
the day, and drop ins sometimes they have to wait. We are part also part of
a local B&B package where for $200 a head the visitor flies, dines and
overnights in the region.

This discussion is an evergreen, and the problem is not unique to gliding.
In view of the lack of official leadership or guidance on the topic, I
recommend that each club decides if they want to promote locally, I have
heard of clubs who do not, and if they do develop a local strategy. There
will be the knockers both internally and externally, so what just go for it.

SDF