[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Gidday

At a recent State ops panel meeting I heard it said sotto voce, that there
should be a record of the people involved in near misses. His contention was
that several names would appear regularly. The whisperer has been in the sport
for a long time with a high profile and would certainly be in a position to
know.
Should regular biennial vision checks be part of our standard procedures?

Grant Harper

So true; and it has always been thus.....

Some years ago one of my friends took his competitions very seriously. He told me then that he had a list of aircraft (pilots) to watch out for. I think he called it a "black list". Not a "hit list" mind you, although he always feared that it could turn out to be thus if he didn't give them greater than normal attention.

The problem here may not be "vision deficiency" but an overly aggressive attitude, or a totally different perception of what constitutes "adequate separation". It may also be due to poor or non existent scan techniques.

However whatever the reason, it should be talked about as soon as possible after landing. A query on the radio at the time may not go amiss either, but I'm prepared to listen to other thoughts on that one. I still recall my first serious (state) competition day in the late 60's. I was quite unprepared for just how aggressive some other pilots were. As a total newbie, I was also unprepared to challenge them either in the air or later on the ground, but I became convinced almost immediately that if this was competition flying, it wasn't for me.
It still isn't.

Regards,
Terry