Stop it, You'll all go blind! Can we please find another topic, c'mon think, what about something like what you have done to make soaring fun, maybe some good stories, true or false. Its winter...... warm us up. The story from the late MV was a good example. Here's mine to start things off. Story goes that 2 blokes were chasing the same girl. One was the ace glider pilot, the other a 'normal' character. Ace glider pilot challenges other to go for a glider flight to prove his worth. Trouble was there was no 2 seater, so the bloke is strapped over the centre section of the clubs single seater, ropes made into stirrups and foot holds and is duly winched launched for a circuit. Who got the woman ???? The ace glider pilot was so impressed with the guts of the other bloke he quite happily removed himself from the picture. Believe it or not.
Ian P.
KPST
----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Newton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: "Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia." <aus-soaring@lists.internode.on.net>
Sent: Tuesday, June 21, 2005 3:00 PM
Subject: Re: [Aus-soaring] Airmanship not numbers

Boyd Munro wrote:

Well said, Terry. Our Australian predilection for quantitative rules can all too easily inhibit the development of skill and judgement.

Intersting.  Do you (or does anyone else reading this) personally
know anyone who has set their personal separation minimum at 200'
because that's what the rule says it needs to be?

I agree that overlegislating can lead to exactly the effect you've
described above, but I'm pretty sure that this -isn't- an appropriate
example anyone can use to show that safety has been compromised by
an arbitrary quantification...!

  - mark