Mike Borgelt wrote:

Anyone from Internode or Agile Communications know for sure which kind of
3G service is being proposed? Is it CDMA or GSM based? ie code division or
time division or something else?

It's 3GSM.

http://www.telstra.com.au/abouttelstra/media/mediareleases_article.cfm?ObjectID=35896

As long as you understand that the press release is written in a special
dialect of English in which "upgrade" is synonymous with "replace" you'll
get the general gist.

I think getting rid of CDMA has more to do with forcing people to change
than wanting the frequency.

Bit of both, I think you'll find.  3GSM uses the same frequency band
as CDMA, so they'll need to turn off CDMA in parts of the country
which fall within the 3GSM footprint.

My earlier comments about the economics of country Australia
telecommunications are doubly-relevent to mobile telephony.  Customers
in cities have largely ignored it, and GSM has continued to grow
while CDMA has languished.  So Telstra has this fancy new CDMA network
where the  only customers are in hard-to-service areas, with virtually
no subsidization from high-density high-profit areas to pay for it.

It's more or less the same economic story that has caused all the
satellite phone operators to go broke in the late '90s:  Lots of
capex, lots of recurring maintenance fees, no customers.

I haven't found any disadvantages with CDMA. I have a Qualcomm phone and it
is great. GSM is just another piece of Eurocrap.

<shrug>  GSM works virtually everywhere in the world.  CDMA works in
the US and Australia (and can't roam from one to the other).  Eurocrap
wins.

  - mark