Mark,

You wrote

"You have to download stuff you don't want on a forum too.  By the time your
web browser has finished downloading all the graphics .and formatting gunk
it needs to render whatever aesthetic the forum webmaster has chosen, each
screen could (and probably is) a couple of hundred kbytes -- Which is
equivalent to several weeks worth of aus-soaring email, even when we're at
our most wordy and least useful."

I have been subscribed for 3 days and I have already received 860KB of data
from this list, well more than a couple of hundred Kb-in 3 days!!!!

 Obvously YOU have unlimited email space on your server-those of us in the
real world DO NOT, we have to live by quotas(Though in my case I set the
quotas).

Where you pull your figures from is a Mystery-or maybe not?

You wrote

"With all due respect, David, "The Register" is not "the industry."  It's
the IT press equivalent of a tabloid newspaper, and it solicits hits by
being inflammatory and sensationalist.  If you want an accurate rendition of
the state of "the industry," I'd suggest some source other than El Reg."

With all due respect, What a crock of shit Mark, The Reg was the first
source I thought of however a quick search reveals hundreds if not thousands
more examples of problems, anyway how about adressing those examples,
instead of a piss weak attack on their source?

You wrote
"That's an archive, not a forum."

It still looks like crap!!!

You wrote
"and as I show below, the crocodile tears you're crying about downloading a
stack of mails you aren't interested in is actually crap, and there can be
no rational basis for any independent observer to believe that that's really
a serious concern in your mind)"

Who appointed you a rational independent observer?

You wrote
"If you're living in the 1980's world of POP3, yes.  If you're using IMAP
your filtering will be done server-side and you'll never need to download
stuff that you won't want to see."

I Mark, unlike yourself put myself into the mind of the ordinary user as I
have to deal with them everyday. What you say is indeed true for the expert
users, but we are an exception not the rule.
Ordinary users have probably never heard of IMAP etc, I use what my employer
provides.

I believe in using what my users use so that I am familiar with and can
support them, not an esteoteric style over substance Apple product(-:

Web downloads do not end up stored in my pst file if I don't delete them.

Your sarcasm and aggressive tone does you no credit Mark.

Why do you need to react so violently and abusively to a different opinion?

Will continue later have to do some work now.

David Lawley
Computer Manager
Elizabeth Park PS Elizabeth East PS
Pennington PS