Why not splice it?

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Michael
Derry
Sent: Friday, 10 March 2006 5:38 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: aus-soaring; Winchdesign Yahoogroups
Subject: [Aus-soaring] Re: [pulleylaunch] Knots?

cc others
Neil

I should have expanded a little more about knots.

A FEATURE THAT OUR COUSINS USING WINCHES CANNOT TAKE ADVANTAGE OF

The knots which we used that worked were reef knots.

If you look at a reef knot, the knot sticks out one side and the two
lengths of rope line up under pressure. So when you watch a rope with a
reef knot in it go around a pulley at speed and under load the line of
the rope goes right against the pulley and the reef knot sticks out to
the side.

After watching knots go around pulleys many times under load I was
amazed to see that the line of the rope always went against the pulley
and the knot was on the opposite side.

Reef knots slip easily so we tied a knot at the end of each peice of
rope to stop it slipping. This worked a treat.

A knot savy pilot saw a reef knot we had tied before a launch and
replaced it with some other superior knot in terms of strength.
Unfortunately when the knot went through the pulley it snapped. The
reason it snapped was that the two lengths of rope did not line up when
under pressure and the knot did not stick out to the side. The knot was
on the inside of one of the pieces of rope and acted as a fulcrum
placing much stress on the rope at the edge of the knot.

Has anyone eany other thoughts about knots.....it is a big subject ?

Regards

Michael Derry