Robert Hart wrote

Now - there is a separate issue involving independent operators and the
requirement for a second signature which makes it technically impossible for
such a person to rig their glider and fly it unless there is a second person
with a DI rating around to counter sign the maintenance release. I believe
that this has in the past been discussed in the technical arenas of the GFA,
but no change has resulted.

Robert,

      I think this issue is academic. The critical mass, the qualifications
and experience required of those attending to make a gliding operation
viable would almost guarantee at least one other person with D.I.
qualifications would be in attendance.

Mike Borgelt wrote

Anyone who inspects or signs for someone else's glider after rigging

just must be stupid or naive. You leave yourself wide open to both

criminal and civil actions.

Mike,

     yes you could be open for civil action; I do not have legal training

but my understanding is someone has to prove criminal intent to have
criminal action

taken against you. As far as conducting inspections are concerned provided
you are trained and qualified, and therefore assessed as competent by others
who are qualified to conduct such assessments you are neither stupid or
naïve, you are conducting normal business in the same way a Surgeon, LAME,
motor mechanic or electrician does on a daily basis. You as the owner also
have a responsibility to take care who is asked to conduct your nspections.

Robert,

        During your research could you establish is Form 2 inspectors etc
covered by the GFA insurance policy against such potential action in the
same way Instructors and Tug Pilots are. (maybe someone in the forum already
knows the answer)

SDF