Hi all,
If it was during the war years I would suggest he could have flown in the Pratt two seater. Percy Pratt was the builder and his exploits as a builder/flyer were very well known. He built a few primary gliders and started clubs around Victoria, including the Warrnambool and Swan Hill clubs. He also flew by aerotow from Geelong to Albert Park Melbourne in weather that had the birds grounded. Dads first flight in a glider was with Perc in the Pratt two seater at Belmont Common, Geelong in 1944, so the date seems to fit. If others want to know more about him I can put together some information but it will take a little time. As members of the museum we have hoped we could find the remains of the glider but have had no luck.....yet.
Ian Patching
----- Original Message ----- From: "Allan Armistead" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: "Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia." <aus-soaring@lists.internode.on.net>
Sent: Wednesday, February 07, 2007 7:30 PM
Subject: [Aus-soaring] Parap (?) glider

After some information, perhaps someone on the forum can help.

I was at a function on the weekend, got talking to a guy who was in his mid
80's. He had been in the RAAF during the war and had had one flight in a
glider, some wartime airforce base in Victoria. He thought the glider was
either a "Parap" or "Parat" something like that, or was flown by someone of that name. The pilot was apparently quite a well known glider pilot/builder.

Does that name ring a bell with anyone? Sorry if it's a bit vague, he'd had quite a few drinks by the time I was talking to him. (For the record, I had
one all afternoon.)

Allan Armistead
ph (02) 6249 6470, mobile 0413 013 911
PO Box 908, Dickson ACT 2602, Australia

"When once you have tasted flight, you will always walk with your eyes
turned skyward, for there you have been and there you always will be."
Leonardo da Vinci, 1452-1519