My observation is twofold. I agree with Phil's synopsis, an easy glider to
fly is a better mount for less experienced pilots, and the more expereinced
just wish they had the easier glider to fly, but get away with it.

For a low experience pilot they can probably achieve 80kph whether in the
Cirrus or the Discus, because their lack of experience doesn't let them get
the benefit of the higher performance. If you spend 50+% of your flight
circling then the glide performance is not as beneficial. In a handicap
class you are therefore better to have a lower performance glider that is
better matched to your individual performance than to have a high
performance glider which you cannot utilise fully, and have to pay a
handicap penalty.

Quite a few examples where pilots with good potential suddenly get access to
a good ship and are really disheartened when their overall placing
decreases. Hopefully they hang in long enough to use the better glider
properly and quickly move up the placings again.

Terry