Mark Newton wrote:

>Tricky to do.  ACMA audited it before approving the NextG money.
>
>Any degradation in CDMA is probably attributable to poor maintenance
>standards.  Remember that we're talking about the company that breached
>corporations law by giving a confidential briefing to Government MPs
>in which they confessed to cost-cutting for profits to such an excess
>that they'd underspent on network maintenance by over $3b since Sol
>Trujillo came onto the scene.  That's billion with a b.
>
>It's the kind of thing that'd make a shareholder weep if they'd thought
>about the long-term implications.

The rumour around here among the bottom feeders like myself is that they
aren't worrying about "unnecessary" maintenance on CDMA because it's
going anyway.   Besides if the service isn't as good as it once was,
well, that's a good reason to upgrade to Next G(arbage) isn't it ...

I had a mate ring today on his NextG whizbang device.  He had to re-dial
three times for us to complete the basics of the conversation; he was
only 5 km from the nearest cell, and had 4 bars out of 5 on his sig
strength meter.    Apparently this was typical of the performance he has
been getting since he changed over form CDMA some months back.  It's not
very encouraging.

I think we'd better get back to gliding - this is becoming too depressing.

Terry

ps And don't even mention "Telstra Single Bill" in my hearing / reading
(please?).