At 10:15 AM 20/12/2007, you wrote:
>Well this changes everything.
>
>The scorer has undertaken to seek clarification about the rules,
>and it seems that pre-start airspace violations provide for a 100
>point penalty, not zero points.
>
>There'll be updated scores in due course :-)
>
>The other interesting thing is that we're now five days into the
>contest and none of the people affected by this have read the rules
>and raised a protest.  As David Conway says, "That kind of
>education is one of the reasons we run JoeyGlide."
>
>    - mark

Maybe nobody bothered with that rule because it is absurd. Could
someone please detail the "thinking", to use the term loosely, behind
that penalty system?
Surely an airspace violation during a contest flight is just that and
the penalty should be the same no matter when it occurred? The
consequences whether in civil penalties or mid airs are surely the
same. I can't see CASA bothering to differentiate between pre start
and after start when taking the violater to court.

Mike
Borgelt Instruments - manufacturers of quality soaring instruments
phone Int'l + 61 746 355784
fax   Int'l + 61 746 358796
cellphone Int'l + 61 428 355784
           Int'l + 61 429 355784