People people.

I have to admit I am a little ... concerned by any committee wanting to
extend maximum term of office.

Robert makes a few good points I think:

* Better communication from the GFA is essential. I can't remember when the
last time I got an official communication from the GFA except for the AGM-
Interestingly enough, GFA fees have just gone up, but notices were only sent
to club administrators. I think the GFA needs to communicate to members
directly about things such as fee hikes, not rely on the clubs to pass on
the "good news".

* I think it's dangerous to rely on the "if it doesn't affect me, I don't
care" attitude - what tends to happen is that something will change, for the
worse, and then it's too late to jump up and down, damage has been done.

* What Mike said of regulation, yes it is an issue to be looked at but
frankly I have found far more onerous and restricting regulation at the club
level. I really think before we start throwing stones at the GFA, we look a
little closer to home.

Back to Robert's original point - I've always been a fan of improving
communications via electronic (and thus free and convenient) means, The
biggest issue is that of critical mass - enough people have to want to do it
too. The GFA, being a central point of gliding and gliding clubs in
Australia, needs to leverage this and get discussion flowing one way or
another. We are a small but rather diverse mob, ranging from instructors to
comp pilots to ab initio's to "senior and retired" to "young, keen and
penniless", all of these people need input or at least knowledge of
decisions being made by an executive.

Regards,

Gus

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 11:18 PM, McLean Richard <richardmcl...@yahoo.com.au