Yes, but an electric tug doesn’t have to carry the equivalent of 100L of avgas
like a “conventional” electric aircraft would for cross-country flying.  If you
allowed regenerative battery charging, the tug could completely exhaust its
battery getting to 3000ft and then recharge just enough on the way down to
allow for a go-around or hold.  The battery + motor should weigh much less than
a 6-cylinder Lycoming.

Taras Kiceniuk gave a presentation to the Experimental Sailplane Association in
California in September where he outlined his vision for “Perpetual Soaring.”
His concept is for an electric-launch glider that recharges for tomorrows
launch on the ground, using either solar cells (which don’t work too well at
night and require prohibitive area and weight) or using the glider’s propeller
as a windmill.  “Perpetual” means it never needs to be plugged in or refuelled.

Taras has built a scale model prototype and measured in-flight recharging with
it.  He claims to get 40% regenerative efficiency.  His model takes 75W
electric power to fly level and he showed graphs which appeared to indicate he
has recharged the batteries at up to 50W.  (The graph was not intended to show
recharge efficiency so this is my own interpretation of his figures.)

The airfoil section on the prop must be symmetrical to work as both a windmill
and a propeller.  (The next time you meet an aerobatic pilot droning on about
symmetric airfoils, ask him what airfoil is on his prop.)  For the best
efficiency as a windmill, the prop needs to have a large diameter and the
delta-V (change in velocity along a streamline) needs to be minimised,
indicating that a descent at close to minimum-sink speed would be required for
maximum energy recovery.

On the other side of the efficiency curve is the high-altitude windmills which
work like box kites with propellers on them.  The prop needs to work just well
enough for the kite to self-launch with power supplied from the ground but as
soon as the kite is established in the high-speed wind at altitude, the prop
goes into windmill mode.

-          Morgan Sandercock (no relation)