At 18:07 30/10/2009, Morgan wrote:

Yes, but an electric tug doesn’t have to carry the equivalent of 100L of avgas like a “conventional” electric aircraft would for cross-country flying. If you allowed regenerative battery charging, the tug could completely exhaust its battery getting to 3000ft and then recharge just enough on the way down to allow for a go-around or hold. The battery + motor should weigh much less than a 6-cylinder Lycoming.

Taras has built a scale model prototype - 40% regenerative efficiency. 75W electric power to fly level.

The airfoil section on the prop must be symmetrical to work as both a windmill and a propeller. (The next time you meet an aerobatic pilot droning on about symmetric airfoils, ask him what airfoil is on his prop.) For the best efficiency as a windmill, the prop needs to have a large diameter and the delta-V (change in velocity along a streamline) needs to be minimised, indicating that a descent at close to minimum-sink speed would be required for maximum energy recovery.

 Todd (no relation) said:
This is the completely wrong thing to be putting the electric motor in. The tug is the problem not the solution. Its the GLIDER that needs to be electric!!

All this makes me wonder why we are talking about lifting either the Internal Combustion engine or the batteries into the air if we are really interested in energy-saving.

Surely a winch is the most sensible area to use an electric motor to launch a sailplane, where you can have as much weight and do not need to shock-proof the charging system because they stay fixed on the ground and the charging system can be remote from the winch cable driving mechanism.

That's why we can have diesel winches that are so cheap to run, though they can't do outlanding retrieves or launch to a remote start point like a tug can.

Incidentally, aerobatic pilots (and they are competing at Temora this weekend) may have symmetrical wing sections to fly inverted - but the propeller does not need this in-built handicap unless it is intended to use it as an in-flight brake, or to both push and pull the aircraft (which would involve also changing the direction of rotation, or at least a significant reversal of pitch past the full-fine point to be able to drive the airframe tail-first).

Wombat